
I've been meaning to write about Juno for a while now. I liked it quite a bit.
Quick synopsis for those of you living under a rock and/or some other large, heavy, solid object: Juno MacGuff (Ellen Page) finds herself 16 and pregnant from her best friend, Paulie Bleeker (Michael Cera), and decides to give her baby to a couple that is looking to adopt (Jason Bateman and Jennifer Garner).
While I knew Juno was garnering critical acclaim, I admit, one of the factors that weighed heavily into my decision to see Juno is that Michael Cera is it it and I have like, an inappropriate crush on him. But the film exceeded my expectations and proved to be more than Michael Cera in tiny gold shorts. Juno could easy fall into the cliche and be just another pregnant teenage girl movie. Yet in manages to be unique. Charming and funny, Juno spouts snappy one-liners but will make your heart lurch with emotion as she becomes increasingly fragile. Bottle this charm and emotion and mix with equal parts quirky folk music and the film gets even better.
Much of the film's success is owed primarily to the combination of the perfection that is Ellen Page and the smart, witty dialogue conceived (see what I did there!?) by writer Diablo Cody. One of my favorite lines is when Juno is telling the couple who will adopt her baby that they should have looked into adopting a child from China: "You should've gone to China, you know, 'cause I hear they give away babies like free iPods. You know, they pretty much just put them in those t-shirt guns and shoot them out at sporting events."
Oh and also, Juno takes place in Minnesota, specifically suburban Minneapolis, which is cool. Love the shoutout to Ridgedale Mall, which is about 10 minutes from my house.
No comments:
Post a Comment