May 5, 2007

Extremely Good

I just finished Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer and was blown away. I know I'm a little late to sing this book's praises, but fuck it, I'm going for it anyway.


Extremely Loud revolves around Oskar Schell, a nine-year-old searching for a lock that matches a mysterious key that belonged to his father, who died in the World Trade Center on 9/11. It takes him on a journey all over NYC, during which he meets loads of interesting people and survivors and ultimately finds strength and begins to deal with his grief.

One of the reasons I love the book so much is the main character, Oskar. He's so fantastically nerdy and this original mix of man and child. He thinks up these crazy inventions, like a drain underneath everyones pillow in New York that collects tears of people who cry themselves to sleep and empties into the reservoir in Central Park. He describes himself as 'inventor, jewelry designer, jewelry fabricator, amateur entomologist, francophile, vegan, origamist, pacifist, percussionist, amateur astronomer, computer consultant, amateur archaeologist, and collector of: rare coins, butterflies that died natural deaths, miniature cacti, Beatles memorabilia, semiprecious stones.'' How can you not love this kid?

It's extremely difficult for a novel to be unique. As an avid reader, I read, well, a lot. And many of the stories seep together. Blue turns to purple, yellow to green. Places and people get mixed and confused. But Extremely Loud has a distinctive voice and a unique presentation. It's silly and ambitious, imaginative and heartbreaking.

I suggest you buy it.

No comments: