February 2, 2011

SNOMG/Snowmaggedon/Chicago Blizzard of '11*

Being from Minnesota, I thought I had seen the worst of winter weather. Until last night when Mother Nature decided to give Chicago a little show.

I guess I should have known something was coming when I walked in to Trader Joe's and saw people basically looting the place. My favorite was the woman with a cart full of 9 bottles of wine, 3 logs of cheese and a frozen quiche. What a beautiful curation of goods.

I left work around 2:30, so made it home just as the storm started to ramp up. Sure you've got your 20 inches of accumulative snow, but we also got some 60 mph winds and lighting and thunder. Yes, that is apparently a thing. A thing which has it's own (incredible) name: thundersnow. This guy knows what I'm talking about.

This was a lot of fun to watch from the very awesome inside (God I love inside) where it was all snacks and wine and Despicable Me watching. It was admittedly not so great for the hundreds/thousands of cars and buses stranded on Lake Shore Drive, the primary artery in and out of the city, for about 10 hours.

Today was a snow day. Wooo! First time the university has closed since 1967. My roommate and I played in the snow and walked in the middle of deserted streets, and then decided to walk over to Lake Shore Drive this afternoon. The scene looked like a zombie apocalypse. Check out the abandoned cars:


Scene from above (taken, obviously not by me, rather an actual Tribune photographer with actual photographing skills):


Abandoned bus:


And then we found Lucretia's car on a side street...


...and since all the nearby stores were out of shovels, proceeded to dig it out with a car scraper, bucket, and the dustbin from our apartment. Then I went into Starbucks covered in snow, with a bucket and dustbin in each hand. And everyone looked at me funny. The end.


*You're welcome for the rhyming title of this post.

1 comment:

Leslie said...

SERIOUSLY? I did not know about this madness, madre mia de mi vidaaaaa that's a lot of snow!