October 16, 2009

A Short Rant on Edward Cullen

I read Twilight about two years ago. And I will say that yes, Twilight is entertaining. But it is also pretty terrible. Terrible for a variety of reasons, from the poor writing to the anti feminist messages, but the paramount reason being one Mr. Edward Cullen.

I have overheard many girls and women talking about how they wish they could find their Edward Cullen. It's frightening that Edward Cullen is depicted as this ideal perfect being when in actuality he is far from it. He is controlling, selfish and manipulative. His relationship with Bella is often abusive and stalker-ish, yet most of Edward's actions toward Bella are presented by the author as protective and gentlemanly.

Let's take a quick look at some of the things Edward does out of protection in Twilight that seem oddly familiar to the warning signs of domestic violence as compiled by the Mayo Clinic:
  • Isolates Bella from her friends, especially Jacob, and controls how she spends her time
  • Breaks into Bella's house numerous times to watch her sleep (illegal and an invasion of privacy)
  • Stalks her on her trip to Port Angeles
  • Takes out the engine in Bella's truck so she can't drive anywhere
  • Extremely jealous and possessive of Bella
  • Scares Bella by driving recklessly
  • Threatens to kill both Bella and himself; creates fear with constant mention that he could kill Bella at any moment
  • Disregards Bella's opinions and choices; controls her decisions
  • Persuades Bella to lie to her father
  • Has his brother physically harness her in the back of his car against her will to "protect" her from the evil vampire James
What a fun boyfriend! He's so great! He loves her so much! And he sparkles!

That being said, Robert Pattinson is hot. I approve of that and that only.


(Sidenote: how creepy is it that 107-year-old is dating/married to a 17-year-old? I don't care if he physically looks like a teenager, mentally he is an old man. And that, my friends, makes him a total creeper.)

1 comment:

Leslie said...

Now that I think about it like that, the whole thing seems incredibly awful. What kind of messages are we sending to young women out there! Your bf only loves you if..... because that's what Edward Cullen would do. Ha, Sarah, I absolutely love your reference to the Mayo Clinic, brilliance I tell you!