June 1, 2008

Chuck E. Cheese

I was talking to a friend earlier today and Chuck E. Cheese, the family entertainment center, came up.


Oh my god you guys, you have no idea how hard we laughed remembering the ridiculousness of it all. Chuck E. Cheese. Sweet Jesus. I spent so many disturbing hours at that place for countless childhood birthday bashes.

But I loved it at the time. I kind of think that Chuck E. Cheese just flashes bright lights and hurls junk food and sugar and talking robots and loud arcade games at kids and they're just lulled into a dream-like stupor. You have to admit that the place is pretty batty. I'm sure it's like a mecca for stoners.

I mean, where else in the world can you bash animatronic moles in the head in exchange for golden tokens, the acquisition of which can be used to buy a turquoise rabbit's foot keychain and glow-in-the-dark sticker? Where else can you roll around in a bottomless pit of multi-colored balls and dance with a giant mouse? Where else can you eat delicious pizza whilst being serenaded by the robot animals Crusty the Cat, Jasper T. Jowls, Pasqually, and the Warblettes?

I initially thought I was simply going to wax a bit of nostalgia for Chuck E. Cheese in this post, thinking the company surely petered out in the mid 1990's. But no. It LIVES. Please let my little neighbor Grace want to go there for her birthday and invite me. Oh please oh please.

So this is what I remember of the singing robot animals at Chuck E. Cheese. The robot animals are creepers, sure, but they're singing a very appropriate song:



Well not anymore! That song is so 1995 you guys. They only sing cool songs now. Like Usher's "Love In This Club". I am not kidding. This is so wrong on so very many levels:


1 comment:

Robin said...

Hi...I found your blog through google images. I was searching for a Chuck E. Cheese image! I think you'll get a laugh from my latest post. Here's the link:
http://myinnerteen.blogspot.com/2008/07/couple-of-virgins-walk-into-chuck-e.html
Thanks for the image and great post! I wish I had gotten to go as a kid...